Monday, July 22, 2019

Mind Body Link


When I was trying to quit smoking, I found how strong the mind-body link can be. Quitting was the hardest thing I'd ever done, so I decided if the cravings were too strong to bear, I could let up on myself and try again another day. The mental image was of me going to the convenience store and getting a pack of smokes and being okay with trying again another time.

It worked a bit too well. Almost every time I used that visualization, sure enough, off I'd go to town. 

So I thought if the mind-body link is that strong, maybe I can use it to my advantage. I took my time. I wanted a happy, positive interaction for myself in the same convenience store: I visualized myself entering the store, noticing the rows of cigarette packs, and feeling relief at the thought, "Boy am I happy I am finished with those."

It helped a lot. I suspect it'd work in other areas too. I wonder if it works with latchkey incontinence?