Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sensory Perception is All in Our Minds

Jan20071201

In my story Trying Too Hard, I mentioned how hard it was for me to hear the telltale rushing sound when learning to take someone's blood pressure. This seems like the perfect way to understand that hearing doesn't happen in our ears, it happen in our minds. The sound was there all along, but my mind didn't know how to perceive it until I relaxed and suddenly there it was.

So how many other things are around us that we have the ears to hear and the eyes to see, but not the mind to perceive? Maybe just like with blood pressure, we need to relax first, drop preconceived ideas as much as possible, and wonder what might be there.



First published July 2016 in my free monthly email newsletter, Starry Night. Sign up here.